Monday, February 4, 2013

Cupcakes-Match cupcakes

Tomorrow is the match for a lot of my classmates so I decided to make cupcakes.  My original plan was to do chocolate cake with cream cheese icing and nutella filling but the Superbowl had other plans.  The store was out of cream cheese and nutella so I improvised and used some stuff I had around the house.

Chocolate cupcakes with nutella yogurt filling and vanilla icing


Ingredients:

Cake
1 box chocolate cake mix (the type without pudding works better-I like Duncan Hines)
1/3c vegetable oil
1c buttermilk
4 eggs

Filling
1 container (16 oz) vanilla greek yogurt
1/3c Nutella
1 1/2tbs almond butter
1/2 pkg of chocolate pudding
~2tbs whipping cream

Icing
Store bought vanilla (I know shame on me but I wanted cream cheese!)
whipping cream

Directions:

1. Mix cake mix, oil, eggs, and buttermilk until combined, then beat on medium-high for 2 minutes
2. Fill cupcake pans 2/3 full and bake @ 350F for 10min then turn down to 325F for 5-8min more.
3. Combine the yogurt, nutella, almond butter and pudding mix and add whipping cream slowly until smooth but not runny.  Whip for 1-2min.
4. When cool, cut triangle tops out of the top cupcakes to make a space for the filling.  Pipe in filling and recap (doesn't have to be pretty, icing will go over it)
5. Whip container of vanilla icing and slowly add whipping cream, then beat on medium-high for 1-2min until fluffy but it shouldn't be runny.
6. Frost the filled cupcakes and store in the fridge

Notes:
-Instead of the pudding, almond butter, and whipping cream, you can just add enough Nutella to get the flavor and texture you like (I just didn't have any more Nutella, but this combo was delicious)
-I did not use all the icing b/c I didn't want them to be too sweet
-You could try using just yogurt and pudding for the filling, the consistency would be right and then you would have several different flavor options


The Verdict:  Well I like them.  I was debating between greek yogurt and sour cream, the yogurt was definitely the way to go.  It's a great chocolately combo without being overly sweet


Original Recipe from:  Hello Cupcake



No comments:

Post a Comment