Saturday, June 15, 2013

Cupcakes-Thin Mint

My spin on a girl scout favorite :)

Thin Mint Cupcakes




Ingredients:

Cake
1 box Chocolate cake mix
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1/2c oil (or whatever it says on the box)
1/3c Creme de Menthe
1c buttermilk

Frosting
8oz Whipped topping, softened
4tbs Creme de Menthe

Chocolate Topping
1pkg (2c) semi-sweet chocolate chips
3tbs vegetable oil

Directions:

1. Combine eggs, cake mix, oil, buttermilk, and Creme de Menthe and mix on low speed until integrated, then beat on med-high for 2min.
2. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake @ 350F for 10min then turn the oven down to 325F until done (about 5min).
3. For the frosting, fold Creme de Menthe into the whipped topping.  Store whipped topping in the freezer until cupcakes are cool (you don't want it to harden completely but the thicker it is, the easier it is to frost cupcakes).
4. When the cupcakes are cool, pipe on whipped topping and place in the freezer for at least 30min.
5. Melt chocolate and add oil for topping (I use a microwave but double boilers work as well).  Once frosted cupcakes are cooled and the whipped topping is firm enough to turn upside down, dip cupcakes into chocolate topping and place back in the freezer for 5min.  
Yield 2 dozen


Notes:
-I left out an egg white because the alcohol can make the cake dry and taking out an egg white balances it out.
-Next time try with chocolate (Nutella or maybe chocolate pudding) mint frosting.  The whipped topping tasted good and the texture was great but technically Thin Mints are all chocolate.
-This recipe could be easily altered for Andes mint cupcakes
-I didn't add cookie chunks in the cupcakes because I was being stingy with my cookies, but when I make these again I will definitely add them


The Verdict:
Very good but the chocolate topping harden and made then kind of messy to eat.


Original Recipe from:   Cupcakes and Chocolate Topping

No comments:

Post a Comment