Saturday, November 30, 2013

Skeleton Chocolate Gingerbreadmen with Cayenne pepper

I saw a picture of these cookies using regular gingerbread.  I thought it was an awesome Halloween cookie but I wanted to try adding some chocolate to make them darker and less Christmasy.

Chocolate Gingerbread Skeletons (with Cayenne)



Ingredients:

Cookie
1/2c packed brown sugar
1/2c sugar
1/4c molasses
1c butter, softened
1tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 1/4c cocoa powder
1/4tsp salt
3tbs ginger
2 1/2tbs cinnamon
1/2tsp cloves
1/2tsp nutmeg
1tsp baking soda
3c AP flour

Icing (Shiksa Royal Icing)
3tbs meringue powder
4c confectioner's sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1/3c water (more if needed)

Directions:

1.  For cookies, cream butter, brown sugar, sugar, molasses, and vanilla on medium high speed.  Then add egg and spices.
2.  Add baking soda and flour and mix on low until combined.  Separate the dough into 4 quarters and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
3.  Roll out one quarter of the dough on floured surface to 1/8in thickness and cut out desired shape (gingerbread men in this case).
4.  Place cookies on baking sheet 1in apart and bake @ 350F for 8-10min.  Allow cookies to cool before frosting.
5.  Combine meringue powder and confectioner's sugar in mixer and mix on low speed.  Then add vanilla and slowly add water until right consistency is reached (if you drop a spoonful into the bowl it should be completely smooth again in 10seconds).
6.  Once cookies are cool, pipe on icing (I liked making different faces on each cookie).
7.  Let cookies dry at least 2 hours (overnight is even better) before packing.
Yield 5 dozen


Notes:
-Could use more cayenne, the bite seemed to dissipate quickly once they were baked
-The ginger seemed to get stronger with time, so I probably shouldn't have upped the amount (original recipe called for 2tbs)
-With cut out cookies like these you can use non flavored dental floss (unused) and run it underneath the dough after you roll it out but before you cut it to keep it from sticking to the counter and distorting the shape when you move it to the baking sheet.
-Another way you can roll these out is you can roll out the dough on the baking sheet (if you have the kinds without sides), cut the shapes and peel away the extra dough.
-Keeping the other 3/4 of the dough in the refrigerator while you roll makes them easier to work with.
-For the icing, I used the same recipe as my B&P cookies (linked by ingredients)
-Freezer ziploc bags are great for piping.
-I found out after I made these I had another recipe for chocolate gingerbread in one of my favorite books so if I make these again I'll try that recipe. 


The Verdict:
SOOO good.  Loved the little cayenne kick at the end, it kind of sneaks up on you.  I think I'll try this again around Christmas for my "Ninjabread Men"



Original Recipe from: Ghirardelli

No comments:

Post a Comment