Cauliflower and Cheese
Ingredients:
1 tbs butter-for pan1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds)
1/2c + 1/2 oz for topping sharp cheddar, grated
1/2c homemade coarse bread crumbs-I used grape nuts
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2c greek yogurt-original recipe uses heavy cream
Directions:
1. Grease an 13x9in (original recipe calls for 7x11in but I had a lot of cauliflower) glass baking dish with the butter and set aside.2. Position 1 oven rack in the middle position and 1 in the top position and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
3. Place the cauliflower in a small glass bowl, stalk end up. Use a paring knife to remove the lower leaves. Trim the curds off of the stem, keeping them as intact as possible. Try to keep the size uniformly large and make as few cuts as possible. Discard the leaves and stem. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 4 minutes. Rest, still covered in plastic, for another 4 minutes. Leave covered and rest for 4 to 5 more minutes while preparing the rest of the dish.
4. Combine 1/2c cheese, the bread crumbs, egg, greek yogurt, salt, mustard, paprika, black pepper, and cayenne in a large mixing bowl and combine. Different instructions for heavy cream in the original recipe makes the overall dish creamier.
5. Using your hands and a tea towel if the cauliflower is still hot, rub the large florets between your hands to break up the curds. Add the curds to the cream mixture and stir until the cheese is thoroughly melted and combined.
6. Spread the cauliflower mixture in the prepared baking dish, place on the middle rack, and bake for 20 minutes. 7. Remove the baking dish and turn the broiler to high. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 ounce cheese + small handful of bread crumbs and spices if desired atop the cauliflower. Place on the top rack and broil until the top is bubbly and appropriately brown, 3-5 minutes. Rest 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 9 x 13in pan
Notes:
-This recipe is on the Good Eats episode listed below, Alton does an awesome job explaining how to prep and make the dish.
-Too much cayenne for my taste, next time I'll do 1/8 tsp but still edible
-I gambled using the greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. It's definitely drier but I like it and I wanted a way to add more protein so overall I liked how it turned out.
The Verdict:
More please
Original Recipe from: Good Eats Season 14 Episode 21: Caul of the Flower

No comments:
Post a Comment