Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Veggie Challenge Zucchini Sweet

Day two of the veggie challenge is Zucchini!  I wanted something to snack on and I bounce between sweet and salty so I made one of each.


Zucchini Bread




Ingredients:

These are the ingredients for 1 batch, I actually made 1.5 batch b/c I had shredded zucchini left over

2c zucchini, grated
2 eggs
3/4c sugar
1/3 vegetable oil
1c yogurt (greek yogurt would be my preference but all I had was regular)
2c AP Flour 
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1c chocolate chips
1c chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2.  Whisk milk, eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Stir in zucchini.
3.  Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl and combine with the wet ingredients until integrated.
4.  Add chocolate chips and chopped nuts
5.  Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 minutes to 1 hour.  About 30-40min for muffins.
6.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack. Let cool for at least 1 hour before slicing.
Yield: 2 loaf pans or at least 2 dozen muffins


Notes:
-Will definitely try making chocolate zucchini bread next time!
-I use vanilla flavored yogurt but plain works well too
-I used a pan that was too big (b/c I didn't have a loaf pan available) and the middle didn't quite get cooked enough but I baked the left over in a muffin pan and just reduced the cooking time and they turned out great!

The Verdict:
Won't be using the big pan again but will definitely give this a second attempt...or third.


Original Recipe from: Eating Well

No comments:

Post a Comment