December 17, 2012-Grinch Pinwheel cookies
Ingredients:
-whole batch values1c butter, softened
1 1/4c sugar
1/4c light corn syrup
2 eggs
3c AP flour
3/4tsp baking powder (red can)
1/2tsp baking soda (orange box)
1/2tsp salt
1tbs vanilla
-half batch values
6 drops of mint extract
3tbs lime juice
zest of 3-4 limes
green food coloring
Directions:
1.*Cream butter, sugar, and syrup together then add egg and beat for 1-2min2. Add extracts and coloring (depending on whether you're making the green or white dough) then gradually add dry ingredients
3. Wrap each dough in saran wrap and refrigerate until firm enough to roll (few hours)
4. Then roll out each dough into a rectangle ~1/2in thickness and place one on top of the other and roll the two together "jelly roll" style (it's easier to roll it up tightly if you set the dough on tin foil or a silicone mat and use that to roll the dough evenly)
5. Then wrap the tube of dough tightly in saran wrap and set in the freezer for a few hours
6. Once firm, cut into 1/4in slices, placed on greased or non-stick baking sheet and bake @ 350 for 8-10min.
Yield ~4 dozen
Notes:
-*I made each type of dough individually
-I forgot until after I added the baking soda and powder that the lime juice would throw off my pH; in the end it turned out making the green dough rise less than the white which gave the cookie a cool raised texture.
-The mint extract doesn't seem like much but it worked really well. I just wanted a chilly after taste, not a taste that reminded me of toothpaste and this volume was just what I wanted.
-When freezing the dough, it helps to rotate the dough every 15min to keep it round if it's soft when you roll it.
The Verdict:
Pending
Original Recipe from: Taste of Home Best Loved Cookie and Bars

No comments:
Post a Comment