Tuesday, December 11, 2012

25DoCC-Orange meltway cookies

My awesome recipe book wins again!  I was looking for a cookie with some citrus flavor and the combination of orange and chocolate always makes me think of the holidays.  I have also wanted to try a sugar coated ball cookie, and this recipe had it all!

December 11, 2012-Orange Meltaway cookies with chocolate centers

Ingredients:

juice from 2 oranges
orange zest from 3 oranges
3/4c butter, softened
1/4c sugar + some for coating
1tbs orange juice, chilled
1tsp vanilla
1 3/4c AP flour
1/8tsp salt
1c almonds, finely chopped (keep these in the recipe, nut whiners can go hungry)
1c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Cream butter and sugar then add1tbs orange juice, zest from 2 of the oranges and vanilla.
2. Gradually add salt, flour, and chopped nuts (the dough will be very crumbly, don't panic it packs together well).
3. Roll the dough into 1in balls pressing 2-3 chocolate chips into the center.
4. Bake @ 325F for 12-15min, until lightly browned
5. Dip cooled cookies in a mixture of orange juice and the zest of 1 orange then roll in sugar.
Yield ~3 1/2 dozen

Notes:
-I was originally afraid the cookies wouldn't be sweet enough but the sugar coating really rounds them out, so try them before you add extra sugar to the dough
-This recipe would be worth trying with raspberry too, if that's your thing
-You can just add 1c mini chocolate chips to the cookie dough and skip putting something in the middle but I tried them both ways and the texture and flavor were better with the chocolate in the center.
-Any kind of nut would work as long as you can chop them (or better yet use a food processor) into tiny pieces


The Verdict:
-OMG I'm drooling.  I'm not a huge fan of combining citrus and chocolate but these are delicious.


Original Recipe from: "Taste of Home Best Loved Cookies and Bars"

No comments:

Post a Comment