Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cakes-ginger apple coffee cake

More Open House food.  Fall makes me think of apples but I'm tired of the apple/cinnamon pairing so I thought I'd try out apple and ginger

Ginger Apple Coffee Cake



Ingredients:

Cake
1/2c (1stick) butter, softened
1 1/2c packed brown sugar
1tsp vanilla
1c sour cream
2 eggs
1tsp ginger
1tsp baking soda
1/2tsp salt
2c AP flour
2c peeled chopped apples

Crumble
1/2c packed brown sugar
1/2c AP flour
1/2tsp ginger
4tbs (1/2stick) butter, cold

Directions:

1.  Cream butter, brown sugar, and vanilla on medium speed then add eggs, sour cream, ginger, and salt.  Mix in baking soda and flour on low and then add in apples last.
2.  Combine crumble ingredients into food processor and mix until it looks like coarse crumbs.
3.  Pour batter into parchment lined loaf pans (or greased mini loaves), sprinkle crumble over top, and bake @350F for 25-30min until golden brown (15-20min for mini loaves).
Yield 2 loaves


Notes:
-Could add chopped walnuts to crumble
-There is also a glaze in the original recipe I didn't have time to try
-I doubled the recipe and went heavy on the apples and my larger pans didn't rise well.  The smaller ones shown did well but the bigger dish was too wet.

The Verdict:
More moist than I was expecting but still very good.  I liked the ginger substitution.


Original Recipe from: Emeril Lagasse



No comments:

Post a Comment