Sunday, December 1, 2013

Cookies-Sugar cutouts

More Open House stuff, I had to have something with ponies!

Basic Sugar Cut-out cookies

can't find my picture!! such a shame these were cute

Ingredients:

1c butter, softened
1c sugar
2oz cream cheese (1/4 pkg)
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2tsp almond extract (or other flavor if desired)
zest from 1 lemon
1 1/2tsp baking powder (red can)
1/2tsp salt
3c flour

Directions:

1.  Cream butter, sugar, and cream cheese and add extracts and lemon zest
2.  Once light and fluffy, add dry ingredients.
3.  Chill the dough for at least 1 hour (I had good luck keeping it in the fridge overnight)
4.  Roll sections out on floured surface 1/4in thick and cut-out (I used a horse cookie cutter)
5.  Bake @ 350F for 8-12min until very slightly golden on the edges
6.  Let cool before decorating
Yield ~3 dozen


Notes:
-Great cookie as a base for royal icing decorations
-Easier to cook if all the cookies on the sheet are the same size
-Extracts and zest can be modified to slightly alter flavor (For example I may make bridal shower cookies with raspberry flavoring to fit the color scheme)
-I ended up taking these cookies out just before I thought they were done b/c I ended up over cooking the ones I waited to see the edges turn tan.


The Verdict:
These cookies are great by themselves but also work well if you want to use a spread and make little sandwiches out of them or decorate them with icing.  The cookie is not overly sweet by itself and it has subtle flavoring from the extracts and lemon zest. 


Original Recipe from:  The Kitchn

No comments:

Post a Comment