Sunday, December 1, 2013

Chocolate cake

Birthday cake for Dad, and my first attempt at a layer cake.


Chocolate layer cake with Buttercream Frosting


Ingredients:

Cake
1box Chocolate cake mix (I'm a Duncan Hines girl)
1c buttermilk
4 eggs
amount of vegetable oil is says on the box

Frosting
1c (2 sticks) butter, softened
1tsp vanilla flavoring
3c confectioner's sugar
1-3tsp milk
1sleeve Chocolate graham crackers, crushed

Directions:

1. Mix cake mix, butter, eggs, and buttermilk until integrated on low speed, then beat on med-high for 2min
2. Fill cake pans and bake @ 350F for about 10min then turn down to 325F until done usually 10-15min more or until slightly brown on the top
3. For the frosting, beat butter and extracts until butter lightens in color, then slowly add confectioner's sugar.
4. Add milk as needed for the right consistency.  Spread onto bottom layer, stack and then frost entire cake from the top down.  Pack crushed graham crackers onto the sides and enjoy!
Yield 1 cake


Notes:
-Didn't have a food processor so the graham crackers are a little rough but they tasted good :)
-I didn't trim it so it was level but the layers were pretty flat to begin with.


The Verdict:
Dad liked it!  I think I would have been better off with a little more frosting but overall not a bad first attempt.


Original Recipe from: no one in particular this time

No comments:

Post a Comment